Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Meatless Mondays: Cheesy Zucchini Enchiladas

In my post last week about some of the goals I have for 2012, I outlined my desire to go meatless at least one day a week. I'm no vegetarian/vegan wannabe by any means (I've got a love affair with chicken wings that I could never forsake); I just want to incorporate a diet that includes more fruits, vegetables and whole grains. And so I've decided to hop on the "Meatless Monday" wagon, with the aim to eat try cooking a new meat-free dinner every week. This week's meal was one that I'd made once before, but liked it so much I thought it deserved another round and its own blog post: Skinnytaste's Cheesy Zucchini Enchiladas.

If you've never visited Skinnytaste.com, I highly suggest you do so. The blog's creator, Gina, has an impressive array of delicious and healthy recipes. Her site includes wonderful step-by-step instructions and pictures that will have you drooling on your keyboard.

Ok, back to these enchiladas. First of all, anything with the word "cheesy" in the title has my initial vote by default. But beyond that, I also love Mexican food and I thought the idea of a zucchini-filled enchilada was fascinating. The first time I made them, I cheated and used store-bought enchilada sauce to save on time/effort. This time, I attempted to make my own sauce per the recipe, but ran into a snafu when I realized I only had tomato paste and not tomato sauce. I compensated by adding double the vegetable broth to the sauce mix, which worked pretty well.  I also left out the green onions for a certain picky husband, and served the enchiladas with a side of yellow rice and black beans.

Behold the power of cheese and zucchini:





















I'm already researching meat-free dishes for next week's culinary adventure. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Have you tried making hummus wraps? They're my go to lunch at Mother Earth. So good.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Vegetarian-Hummus-Wraps

    -Britni

    ReplyDelete